Mexico to Honolulu: March 12-14, 2018

Follow An Inconvenient Life on

As much as I had a hard time getting used being in Guanajuato, it was that hard to leave. Packing up my stuff was easy, since everything was already assigned to a packing cube. I had to leave the condo very early to get to the airport in Leon for my 8:15 am flight. Ana, the landlord wasn’t able to meet me for check out that early, so I had to self-checkout.

The night before my flight, I cleaned up the condo and took the trash out to the dumpster down the main street. I figured I would be out for just a few moments, so I didn’t take my phone (i.e. camera). It was just after sunset and the light was most beautiful. I really did not want to be leaving the next day. I wanted to keep walking and spend one more night enjoying the city, but I needed to finish cleaning.

I dropped off the bags and slowly walked back, savoring the last rays of light. When I turned into the park, leading up to my road, I saw the cow. In an earlier post I think I mentioned that the son of the upstairs neighbors told me that he had seen a cow when he was sitting in that park one night. I had seen cow poop on the sidewalks before. When I first saw the poop, I thought that it must be from the donkeys I had seen. The only thing was; I thought that from what I knew about horse poop, the donkey poop should be more like that; dry and chunky. Once the young man told me about seeing the cow, I was positive the poop I frequently saw around the neighborhood, was cow poop.

As made the turn, I saw the cow approaching a woman sitting in the next park over. The woman got up and moved away from the cow, leaving her bags of groceries resting on the ground. The cow looked interested in the bags and began nosing them. The woman who was busy with her cellphone, rushed back to shoo the bovine away. The cow languidly wandered away … toward me.

Now, I am used to aggressive cows, so I began walking between the parked cars and the wall alongside the road. The cow was too big to follow. It was a really nice cow. It looked like it was at least part brahma. I couldn’t believe that I had finally seen it when I wasn’t carrying my camera.

The next morning I finished my packing, and made sure everything was checked off the checkout list. That is, the things, which were still applicable. The checkoff list must have been written a very long time ago. It referenced tuning off the computer (no computer, but a nice place to use my laptop) and the cellphone. The cellphone was in one of the desk drawers, but it was such an old flip phone that I doubted that it could even be used nowadays.

Ana had arranged for a taxi to pick me up for the airport. I ate breakfast and finished packing my electrics not long before the driver was due to arrive. I was glad that he was the driver Ana always used. The condo is in a rather obscure area, so I would have worried about just calling in a random cabby.

As I was leaving I had to pull the door closed, leaving the keys in the a kitchen drawer. Once out I was to place a padlock trough metal loops on the door and door frame. I was very worried that I was going to lock myself out and would then remember that I left something behind.

Finally it was time to go. I made one last round and made sure all my bags (both of them) were outside before locking up.

The ride to the airport turned out to be one last language lesson. The driver was very friendly and urged me to return soon. I had budgeted 45 minutes for the drive, but at that early hour it only took 30 minutes. The fare was 450 pesos, and I added a 50 peso tip, since he had given me such a nice fast trip and and the lesson.

The lounge had excellent coffee.

At the airport lounge, I found that they were serving fruit, yogurt and granola. It had been long enough since I had eaten my breakfast, I was hungry. I was glad that I had recently learned the word for watermelon and was able to make sure I got a cup of fruit without it.

The flight to the LAX was on AeroMexico. It was a good short flight. When I got off the plane in LA, I flew through arrival and customs because of my Global Entry status. It took me a while to stop speaking Spanish to people I passed. After leaving the secure area, I started looking for the lounge, forgetting that I needed to go through security again before my domestic flight.

I stopped to ask one of the airport workers where the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse was. He told me it was inside security. I asked him if was at that terminal. He just repeated that it was inside security, but he wouldn’t tell me if he even knew weather it was inside that terminal or not. When I realized that my next flight would be on a different airline and I needed to get a boarding pass. I commented on this and asked him where I would find check in for Delta Airlines, he asked, “Have you ever traveled before?” Boy it was nice to not speak enough of the local language, to be able to pick up on sarcasm, for three months.

I walked away from him and found the check in myself. Once I was back inside security, I found a volunteer, who was walking around giving directions, and he told me that the lounge was indeed in that therminal. When I got to the lounge I found that it was about to be closed for cleaning. It was only available for not Virgin Airline passengers for times when Virgin Airline didn’t have flights. They close for cleaning an hour before the lounge is opened for Virgin Airline passengers only. I used the restroom there and got directions to the KAL lounge, which I could get to without going outside the security area I was in.

As I was heading to the other lounge, I saw the man who had given me directions. I hadn’t noticed before that he had a pitbull on a leash. I walked over to him and thanked him again for this help. It turned out that the pitbull, who was dressed in pink vest and had pink toenails, was an ambassador for the breed. The dog’s handler goes around the airport dispensing information to travelers while letting them see that the dog is very gentle.

It was a little confusing to get to the other lounge, because the buses between the terminals were labeled as Terminal B not Tom Bradley International Terminal. I noted the time I left Terminal 2, to make sure that I gave myself enough time to get back for boarding my flight. I took the bus over to Tom Bradley International Terminal and found the lounge. It was only then that I realized that it was KAL not KLM. It was a nice lounge, with plenty of hispanic workers for me to practice my Spanish on. It was fun since they all seemed to be happy to speak their home language.

As I was eating and drinking, I was watching the antics of a small girl next to my table. Her parents seemed to be very appreciative of my smiles. Of course, they didn’t know that I was thinking, “I am so glad I never had one of those.”

I got back to the gate in plenty of time to board. I ended up being seated next to a 16 year old, who lived on Maui. We talked almost the whole flight. The rest of the time I kept myself entertained with my devises. I was surprised at how fast the time passed. Delta provided a free meal and drinks. I wonder if the free drinks were for everyone or if it was because I had booked with my Sapphire card?

Once back home in Honolulu, I took The Bus to Ala Moana, since my friend I was to be staying with lives nearby. Another good thing about carry on luggage only, is that carryon luggage can be taken on The Bus.

The next two days my friend and I spent a lot of time talking story, catching up with what we had been up to since we had seen each other last. It was during this time that my friend introduced me to kale smoothies. I was surprised that I really liked them. After I was settled in at my friend’s condo, we went over to Foodland’s wine bar for drinks and pupu, to balance out all that healthy stuff. It was good to be home.

Categories: Mexico, Nomad's Food, Travel, Travel Minutia, United StatesTags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: