It has been quite a while since I let myself get distracted from this series. (Okay, it has been months.) You can click here to read the first installment. Each installment will cover one of the packing cubes I used in my trip from Hawaii and then on to Texas. The items removed from each cube as not needed were shipped to Texas to be stored.
The second cube is the one that went into my under the seat bag, so it has all the things I might need on the plane.
- Small reporters handbook. These are my favorite notebooks. Some people prefer the Rite in the Rain notebooks, but I like these better.
- Tabby socks: The link here, doesn’t go to the exact socks I travel with. I bought mine at Don Quijote in Honolulu, but they are pretty much the same sock.
- Travel Toilet paper: My mother insisted that I always carry emergency toilet paper. I can tell you that the women who were touring China with me back in 2002 were very thankful that she did. Mother would wait until a roll of toilet paper only had about a half an inch thickness left and fatten the roll. She kept a flattened roll in her purse all the time. I prefer the travel rolls you can get most any drugstore today.
- Eye mask: I use the ones left over from flying business class.
- Eyeglass wipes: I have tons of these left over from attending so many conferences.
- Earplugs in container: Custom hearing protection. I carry two sets, just in case I lose one.
- Retainer in container: Custom retainer from my orthodontist.
- Two small packs tissue: left over from business class toiletry packs.
- One Pen, and One Mechanical pencil
- One lip balm
- Aleve pain pills
- One small carabiner
What was removed:
- Tabby socks: This was a mistake. I found that I really missed them. The condo in cuenca tends to be cold, and I would have liked to have my socks to wear with my slippers.
- Two Eyeglass wipes: That left me with one, which was enough for the plane. I had more in my backpack.
- One luggage lock: Same as the lock in Cube #1, zip-ties will do the job.
- One small carabiner: there were plenty other ones in other places in my luggage.
What was kept:
- Small reporter’s handbook: This is an indispensable item.
- Travel Toilet paper: It has come in handy so many times in the past.
- Eye mask: A great defense against a talkative seatmate on the plane.
- One Eyeglass wipes: was all I needed to have nearby.
- Sharpie pen: I removed the pen from this cube, but had to pull it out to address the one rate box. That is when I added it back.
- Earplugs in container: more defense against a talkative seatmate.
- Retainer in container: I am not going to let so much orthodontic work go to waste.
- Wool skull cap: This is a must have item. It is so thin, but so warm. I have worn it under my sun hat in cold weather. I wore it to sleep in here in Ecuador, until I was able to go out and buy a space heater.
- Two small packs tissue: sooner than later they will be used.
- One Pen,One Mechanical pencil, One lip balm, Aleve pain pills: I have learned the hard way that these must be packed.